If you want your furnace to run well on demand, you must give it the proper attention. Homeowners who adhere to a regular maintenance routine can extend the life of the furnace, avoid emergency heating repairs, and improve general efficiency. At Placentia Speedy Air Conditioning Service, we recommend an annual furnace tune up that is done by a qualified HVAC contractor in Placentia. Annual gas furnace maintenance services, electric furnace checks, and boiler inspections include checking connections, testing valves, examining ductwork, and more! One important part of routine maintenance is changing the air filter.
Regular Filter Changes Protect Your Investment
Air filters have a big job. This removable part of a heating system is responsible for collecting airborne particles that include dust, dirt, pet dander, and other allergens. The filter keeps dirty air from moving through the ducts and into the home. As you can imagine, over time the filter can get quite dirty. When this happens, the filter must work harder with less than desirable results. As the filter loses its ability to collect particles, the heater works harder resulting in an inefficient system that is using too much energy and causes higher energy bills.
Changing your heater’s filter is a very easy job that only takes a few minutes. Most heaters need filter changes once every three months. If you have pets in your home or have allergies, changing the filter more regularly may be necessary.
How to Change Your Filter
- For safety purposes, switch off power to the furnace and the fan.
- Depending on the kind of furnace you have the air filter may be in one of the following places: by the blower, the air handler, or at one of the air intake vents.
- Slide to remove the filter.
- Check the size and make a note. You don’t want to buy the wrong size or you’ll be making a trip back to the store.
Replacement filters can be purchased at local home improvement stores for as little as $4. There are different benefits and brands of filters. More expensive filters may last longer and remove more allergens from the air. If you’re unsure what type of filter is the best for your household, give us a call. We can help you determine the best filter type for your brand of furnace and home.
Before you replace the filter, make note of the date. Write this on the filter. You may even want to set a reminder on your phone so you remember when it’s time to make another change. Time can get away from you and reminders help you stay on track.
Professional Maintenance Services for Furnace and Boilers
While changing a filter is something that anyone can do, there are certain maintenance services for furnaces and boilers that should always be performed by licensed HVAC contractors. All heating systems need the following maintenance services for best performance and safety:
- Vent connection pipe and chimney checks. These parts of the venting system can deteriorate over time. Many homeowners are switching to heating systems that don’t use chimneys to prevent expensive repairs.
- Heat exchanger inspections. This component of a residential heating system can leak water and mix with combustible gases with the air in a home creating a safety hazard.
- Boiler and furnace control adjustments to control water and air temperature. This allows for increased comfort and efficiency.
- Combustion-efficiency testing when considering replacement and retrofitting.
The following maintenance suggestions are for houses with specific heating systems.
Forced Air Heating Systems
- Carbon monoxide (CO) checks and repairs
- Inspect the combustion chamber for fissures
- Blower services: Cleaning, oiling, supply-air temperature adjustments
- Clear away soot, dirt, and address corrosion issues
- Check for weak connections between main ducts and furnace
- Inspect fuel input
Steam Heating Systems
- Clean heater exchanger
- Remove sediments by draining a portion of water from the boiler
- Exam high-limit safety control
- Check low-water cutoff safety control
- Inspect boiler water
- Add chemicals if necessary to prevent corrosion and regulate deposits
Hot Water Heating Systems
- Clean heat exchanger
- Check high-limit control
- Exam pressure-relieve valve for damage
- Analyze pressure tank to ensure it is filled with air and not water
Gas and Oil Heating System Maintenance Services
Maintaining combustion systems require special attention to air quality. If there is a leak in the home, the byproducts of the combustion system can be hazardous to those in the household and lead to the deterioration of the heating system. To prevent this from happening, it’s important to have licensed HVAC technicians inspect that the chimney system is working correctly and that the system is ventilated well. Homes that struggle with air quality issues can install a seal-combustion furnace or boiler for safety and efficiency.
Call us for chimney service today!
A chimney system that isn’t up to par can cause carbon monoxide to leak into your home. This is a health hazard that can be avoided with proper maintenance. Older furnace or boiler systems usually rely on natural drafting chimneys. These chimneys can develop problems with combustion gases due to chimney blockage. This blockage occurs due to wind and pressure in the home that affect the buoyancy of the gases.
We recommend that the following heating systems be vented into manufactured chimneys such as masonry chimneys with fireclay or metal flue line, or metal double-wall chimneys:
- Atmospheric, open-combustion heating systems
- Fan-assisted heating systems
New chimney liners are also recommended for older combustion heating systems to reduce the risk of acidic condensation.
Additional Ventilation Concerns
Some homes with non-condensing, fan-abetted heating systems that were installed from 1987- 1993 may be equipped with high-temperature plastic vent pipes that vent horizontally. If your home is equipped with this type of ventilation system, call us immediately. Due to recalls, you’ll need to replace it with a stainless-steel vent pipe for safety concerns.
At Placentia Speedy Air Conditioning Service, we offer high-quality furnace cleaning services, HVAC tune ups, and emergency furnace repair from the best local HVAC contractors in Placentia. We are available 24/7 to meet all your heating and cooling needs. Call us today to learn more about all our HVAC repair and replacement services.